Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mon 4/1/2013 8:18 AM


For the last week or so we have gone on splits because my companion is the District leader and also because the Zone leaders wanted to get to know me better. So, I have been teaching a lot in English which is really, really nice but makes it hard to get back into the Spanish mode.
We do service twice a week.  Once at a zoo on Wednesdays in the morning for 2 hours and the next day at a thrift store for like 30 min. to an hour.  The zoo is the best part of the day! We get free entrance to the zoo (it isn't very big, but it is still cool) and they have huge tigers there.  This last week we helped to get an area ready for an Amur Jaguar that is very rare and so our work consisted of digging holes and breaking huge thick pieces of cement with a sledge hammer ( that was the fun part).  It was really nice because I have actually missed hard labor.  As for missionary work.....it's hard work too, but it's a different kind of hard.  On average. when we don't have the car, we walk about 10-12 miles a day.  I can do that easy enough, but it's the spiritual and mental work that is a bit different, but I love that too.  I am very glad for the experiences I had before my mission to prepare for my mission.

This last P-day we ate at this little mexican restaurant that members own called La Mexican which is so good.  They tell us to come by once a week and we get free food.  After that we went down to the beach because we had to stop by the old missionary apartment to drop some things off and the beach was actually really nice.  It was very cold, but beautiful.  I love looking out and seeing what seems an endless distance of ocean with beautiful blue skies and white fluffy clouds (how's that for description, mom!).  There was also a tiny little lighthouse that added to this scene.  If I had a fancy camera I would have probably just taking lots of pictures it was so beautiful.  If I had never seen the movie "Jaws" while growing up, I would probably live on a sailboat.  It was so peaceful out there.
After this little adventure on the beach we stopped by this car shop near our house that has all sorts of very old cars and very nice ones at that.  For instance there was a 1932 Mercedez and a 2006 Astin Martin.  Very nice!  The men who worked there were really cool guys as well.  I am not very good at taking pictures, so I will try to get better at that as well, but I did get some pictures of some of the cars, so check them out.

As for the language I still have a lot to learn and most of it is getting my ear use to the different languages spoken.....practice, practice, practice!

I love this work because I know that since the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is Christ's church fully restored on the earth today, the same church Christ established when he was on the earth.  Because of this knowledge is the reason why I am serving a mission.  This is something all people can come to know, as I have, IF they just put the Book of Mormon to the test and accept it's invitation.  I know once they do this they will know that Jesus Christ is the son of God; that this is His true church; that Joseph Smith was a Prophet and that we have a Prophet on the earth again today.  I know that once they come to know this they will learn the answers to the questions of life. Why are we here?  What happens after this life?  How can I be truly happy?  How do I need to live for this to happen?  I know this because I stand as a witness of it for I have put it to the test.  I know others lives can be blessed because of this knowledge and there is no greater knowledge to have than this.  I know that Jesus Christ lives and knows us perfectly and wants us to turn to him, so he can help us in all things. I leave these promises and testimony with you in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Elder Salerno

No comments:

Post a Comment