Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM


By the way.....my companion made me a sandwhich that is called "Ramen Sandwhich".  You boil the water, throw in the Ramen for literally 2 sec. then take it out, split it open and then put an egg in the middle with ham and fry it on both sides then put it between two pieces of bread.  It's actually not too bad.  I wont eat it all the time, but it was pretty good.
The other Counselor in the Presidency is President Michael Haight.  Also, Clayton Christensen has a book out about member missionary work which is really good that is only 10 bucks because he wants it to be affordable.  I cant remember the title, but I'll let you know.  So, the library thing.  Today it was suppose to be closed because it is a holiday, but the one we come to is actually open.  Also we are very low on miles because of all the leadership training meetings we have been going to. So, it is just a maybe thing that I won't be able to email you on some Mondays.

This last week we didn't get to go do service because we had a leadership training and also interviews with the Mission President.  We work at the zoo from 11-1 and the thrift store, "Penny Lane," from 11-1 as well.  The thrift store also has a section that is used for disabled kids.  It's really nice.  We have a washer/dryer in our apartment, so that is really nice and I will send pics today of the apartment.

Last P-Day we went to the beach and lighthouse.  We hit tennis balls with a mini bat we found and played soccer and football.  I will send pics of the light house as well.  

I just want to make clear everything is going just fine out here, and I didn't mean to scare anyone, if  I did.  It was just very interesting to me about the circumstances going on out here.  There is a lot to write about.  
 
Before General Conference we met with this lady named Alma who has been what we call an "eternagator" meaning she has been taught all she can and still isn't baptized. She has been attending church for 9 years, 6 off and on and the past 3 every week.  We have been praying mightily striving to find out what she needs and to get her to open up to us.  We have been making progress.  Anyway, before Conference her son invited us in (1st time meeting him).  He is huge! A very big man. probably like 6'4" and just huge.  Anyway, his story is he had a 9 lb. tumor in his stomach and got it removed, so he has been recovering at his parents house and can't lift anything over 5 lbs.  He speaks english and something else I thought was cool, as he lived in Japan for a few years.  Anyway, we had him sit in on our visit with his mom and he participated a lot.  The main thing we came to this visit for was to prepare Alma for Conference and receiving that confirmation she felt she still needed that the Church is true (she believes the BofM is true and everything else, she just wanted a confirmation from God).  So we taught both of them.  I was filled with such a love for them, and the spirit was so strong.  We watched "General Conference Has Something For You" video by Jeffrey R. Holland and then shared further how wonderful Conference is and how we then can receive answers to any question we have if we prepare for it.  I had no idea what was going on, but I know that it was all the Spirit.  I can't take credit for it at all.  I bore testimony, I invited, I promised and told them exactly what they needed to hear.  Camillo (the son) accepted the invite to watch, so did the mom.  We taught them the purpose of prayer and how to pray and found out the mom's personal prayers were in bed laying down and she would fall asleep.  Anyway, it was an amazing experience.  The spanish rolled off my tongue. I had to ask my companion sometimes exactly what they were saying and ask for some words, but that didn't matter.  It was remarkable!  Alma watched it and Camillo watched one (since he is still recovering) and it was the one on faith and flipping the light switch on and off by Pres. Uchtdarf.  He liked it a lot and it has been getting him to ponder things.  We haven't been able to meet with him after that because when we stopped by he was at the doctors.  Alma, when we met with her the other day, said she wants to get baptized!  We tried setting a date with her but she isn't sure when and wants to talk with her sister who is also a member.  I remember leaving that house so filled with love and grattitude for all that the Lord had done for me and his help during that time.

Another cool experience was this last week when I went out on an exchange with an english elder in my disrtict.  We contacted referrals all day and it went really well.  His name is Elder Broadhead ( the one in the hat pic with me).  He is a country boy from Utah.  Also sometimes looks like Justin Bieber haha, but is really cool.  There was this girl who was probably 24 who loves learning about religions and believes in the morals of them, but wants nothing to do with religion.  She was very nice and it was a porch visit and we 1st talked to her about it really quick and gave her two B of M's and pamphlets of the restoration because she wanted one for her cousin in another state.  She loves the church's geneaology program and actually would defend our church from people saying things they didn't even know anything about, which was cool.   We left and started driving away when I got the prompting we should have gotten the information about her cousin, and so we went back because I felt strongly we needed to.  It turned out in the end that wasn't the reason we went back.  I know now that the reason we went back was to bear our testimonies.  I remember looking her in the eyes and bearing my testimony to her about the Book of Mormon.  I shared a little of my experience and as I bore testimony of it the spirit was so strong and her eyes started getting a little watery.  I then left her an invitation and challenge to put the book to the test.  To do what it said and promised her that she could come to know what we and many others have come to know.  Now I do not know what will come of this, maybe nothing, but I sealed our visit with my testimony and looking back it wasn't to get infromation on her cousin, but rather to testify that it was just not some other book, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is not just another religion, but it is the Church of Jesus Christ that has been restored on the earth today.  It was so amazing!  I love this work so much that I can't even come close to express the true feelings of my heart.

I would like to leave you all with my testimony, that I know this church is indeed the Church Christ himself established on the earth and it has been restored again today in its fullness.  Time after time of sharing this with others and seeing and feeling God's spirit solidifies that truth deeper and deeper within my soul.  I know that all who take the challenge, as I did, to put it to the test and do as it invites us to do which is, to read it, ponder it, and to ask God with real intent having a desire to know. I promise you that you will receive an answer of it's truthfulness by the Spirit of God otherwise known as the Holy Ghost.  What greater witness can you have than from God?  I am not here to convince you of its truthfulness, but rather invite you to find out for yourself.  I know God loves each and every one of us perfectly for I have felt that love even in the hardest of times.  I know that he knows each and every one of us perfectly for he is our Father in Heaven.  I know that Jesus Christ is the only Begotten Son of God and that he suffered more pain and anguish for us than we can ever come close to fully comprehending - "For I God have suffered these things for all that they might not suffer if they would repent.  But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I, which suffering caused myself even God the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, to bleed at every pore and would that I might not drink the bitter cup and shrink.  Nevertheless I partook and glory be to the Father" D&C 16-19.  I know with all my heart, all my soul that Christ lives and he is always calling us to come unto him with his arms open.  I beg of you, please do not turn away from him.  Accept his invitation and you will come to know what I know, that he lives and how wonderful that is.  I leave this with you in the sacred name of our Savior and Redeemer, even Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Salerno

No comments:

Post a Comment