Monday, May 27, 2013

Tue 5/21/2013 10:01 AM

This last week has been pretty dang good!  First of all I am a day late replying because we had to go up to Mass. and turn the van in because they are selling it (I already miss it because we were able to fit our whole district in it!).  We now have a brand new 2013 Toyota Corolla which is a dark gray and it is nice, but still can't replace the van.  I will be able to start driving soon which will be pretty cool since I haven't driven in 4 months!  It will be weird to be able to drive a car over here where there are some of the craziest drivers I have ever seen!

So, back to the week.....There was the flue going around which was horrible, but hey the work continues.  In order to be able to get out there and still work I had to sleep during my language study times, but it was well needed and we went out and worked hard.  We picked up a family to start teaching from a referral from a member who is related to them.  We walked to their house and I remember since I was so sick my body was aching so bad it was feeling like someone was taking a hammer to my joints BUT, there is truly great power in PRAYER :-D.  We arrived there and gave them a blessing of health and explained beforehand what the Priesthood is. It was a good experience.   They felt the Spirit very strongly.
Another experience was while we were at the home of a less active and I was really out of it and had a real bad headache, but I focused as hard as I could on them and helping them.  Next thing I know I opened my mouth and the Spirit was speaking through me and it was a really wonderful experience.
My favorite experiences this week though were during exchanges. The first exchange I was the one speaking Spanish and my companion was English speaking, so I had no one to rely on to help me teach.  I had to rely on the Lord so much more and the Lessons were awesome.  My Spanish is far from perfect, but with humor, love and a sincere desire to teach them I received help from the Lord.  They went very well and I was stretched out of my comfort zone and grew more because of it.  
As for the other exchange, I went English speaking and it was truly remarkable.  We met with the Sullivan family who I've met once before, but just connected with them right away.  Their dad has Leukemia right now and is recovering.  They aren't members, but a son of theirs is a recent convert who is now going to BYU.  We taught them about the story of Nephi and the Liahona when his bow breaks and taught them about Faith.  It was so nice being able to speak in my own tongue and communicate what at times I feel is more effective.  It was a really good experience and the love that I have for that family, even though they aren't in my area, is great.
Later we went and met with a referral we received from that family who is a friend of theirs. This lady was pretty awesome as well.  She lives right next to the water.  Her name is Liz and she started explaining why she was interested.  So after hurricane Sandy hit she tried looking for help from all the different churches and organizations that have all the commercials saying they help out. She couldn't get any of them to help her.  So being a single woman and a lot of work to do she was overwhelmed and one day when she was talking to red cross trying to get help from them a member who was passing by heard.  The next day he showed up with a bunch of missionaries and they helped her out big time.  She said they came when she was overwhelmed not knowing where to begin and very lost. They came in, took charge and didn't want anything in return.  This stood out to her, so there we were with a golden opportunity to teach her a little about our church :-D. We got to know her more first.  She was raised Jewish, but was never religious because her parents weren't.  She sort of believes in God or something more because without it life would be pointless.  She doesn't know a lot about what we believe about Jesus, but she is really a very smart person.  She said herself that it is very hard for her to understand religion because of that, but she really, really wants to understand and come to know if there is a God or not and what she needs to do with her life.  This visit was more of trying to get to know her more than anything, but we did teach parts of the plan of salvation and taught her who she is and where she came from.  Adam and Eve got to her and she said she never understood that whole story which I don't blame her because I didn't at first.  We taught her how to pray and gave her a Book of Mormon.  The spirit and love that was present during this visit was remarkable.  I felt for her because of her desire to truly understand.
I honestly don't believe in coincidences.  I really felt that I was to be where I was that day for exchanges.  It is truly wonderful to be able to be part of this work.  Probably one of the best parts of this whole exchange was to see this Elder progress and see how far he has come since my last exchange with him a month ago. He has a great gift of connecting with the people and it is cool because he said he finally understands and knows why he is out here.  There is no greater feeling than bringing others closer to Christ.  I understand the joy that was felt when Alma saw the sons of Mosiah again and to find out that they were still his brethren in the Lord and made so much progress as he did.
There are too many wonderful experiences to write about, but I am so very grateful for them all because in spite of all the highs and lows of the mission the Lord is with me every second of every day. He is my strength, my guiding light and my life.  As for myself I cannot do anything, but with Him I can do all things.
 
I know with all my heart that this is his Church restored on the earth once again today.  I know that all who sincerely seek him shall find him and will come to know what I have come to know. That He lives, that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and is the Only Begotten Son of God.
 
It is to know that He loves us beyond our mortal comprehension and wants us to once again return to live with him.  It is to know that he has established a plan in order for us to do this.  It is called the Plan of Salvation and the Plan of Happiness and that Jesus Christ is central to that plan.
 
I know that those who read the Book of Mormon, ponder it, pray about it will receive an answer of the truthfulness of it.  All who are reading this ask yourselves what it would mean to you to truly know that you are a child of God who is perfect in all things of righteousness.  Who knows all things and has power in all things. Now ask yourselves what it would mean to you if after you have come to know this that you can communicate to him through prayer seeking help and guidance in all things and receiving that guidance and help from a being who knows all things and has all power.
 
Brothers and Sisters (and I call you brothers and sister because we are brothers and sisters in God) I know with all my heart, mind, and soul that these things are true.  I know that Heavenly Father loves us perfectly and wants the best for us.  I know that Jesus Christ is the only Begotten Son of God and that he came to earth, established his church and set the example for all to be able to return to live with God again. I know that Jesus Christ gave his life willingly in order to save all things.  Most important of all I know that Our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ lives for I have seen his hand in my life and continue to see it.

For those of you reading who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I invite you to put my words to the test and come to know what I have come to know and feel the joy and peace that come from knowing these things and living them.
 
For those of you who are members of the Church I ask if you have come to know these things and have come to taste of the redeeming, strengthening, and guiding love of our Savior?  If not, I plead with you to do what you need to do to rekindle your testimony.  I also invite you to pray for opportunities to share the gospel and see those opportunities when they arrive.  I promise you that those opportunities will come and as you do share the gospel your relationship with the Savior will increase.
 
Our duty is to invite others to come unto Christ.  How can we expect someone to come unto Christ if we never invite them?  Will we be naive to think that someone else will do it so I won't?  Well, what if no one else does?  Think about how the Gospel of Jesus Christ has blessed your lives and sustained you through difficult times, perhaps a loss of a loved one, divorce, or maybe just not knowing what to do next.  Can you imagine what it would be like to go through that without the knowledge that our Savior knows exactly how you feel, because he went through every sickness, pain, infirmity and everything that will happen to us in this life that just isn't right.  That because he knows this he also knows what we need to do to get through these times.
 
I love you all and with all my heart want you all to succeed.  I hope that you ponder these things in your heart and that you do them, that you may come to know and understand for the first time or the millionth time whatever it may be that the Savior did for you.
 
These things I leave with you in the sacred name of our Lord, and Redeemer, even Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment