Friday, October 11, 2013

Wed 10/9/2013 9:57 AM


There is a lot to write about.  I found out that I am getting transferred tomorrow to Quaker Hill, Ct.  I am not sure the address yet, so everyone will have to wait in sending letters or just send them to the mission office.  It is hard to have to leave this area so soon, but the Lord can use me in another place now.  The people here are amazing and I was blessed with yet again another wonderful district; one that I became very close with in such little time.  I was told as well that if Pres. Packard doesn't call me back here to serve before I have 6 months left, that I just have to remind him and he will send me back here because he feels my work here in this area isn't finished yet.  I will for sure always remember this area and the people here because so far in my mission it has been a place where I have been tried a lot, but have grown a lot.  I have come closer to my Savior here through a lot of the experiences He has blessed me with and especially through some of the things He has brought to my mind.
A lot of the ideas that we have come up with during our planning sessions and correlation meetings are starting to be implemented and so far we can see a difference in the work.  The makeup of our ward missionaries will change a little bit though.  Sister Laudie is leaving and going to Lynne to be a digital missionary.  Sister Hileman will be getting Sister Brown from my MTC district, and they will be co-training a new sister missionary.  Elder Sompi will be with Elder Sousa and Elder Freeman, and it looks like Elder Freeman will be leaving soon since his Visa is coming along.  Also, the Sisters will be getting a car today, so that will allow them to meet with so many more people since they will no longer have to wait for the buses here.  So, there is a lot changing and going on now that will really help this work become even more efficient.

One of the ideas that just got started was to get a missionary backpack going in the ward.  We have one for the Priesthood holders, the Relief Society and the Sisters are working on one for the youth.  The idea is that one individual will get the back pack with all the supplies in it to share the gospel, and then they are assigned the responsibility to share the gospel with one of their friends that week or with any one.  Then, they come to church and have to report in front of the other people in their class.  It has been something we have seen in other wards that really help people get excited about sharing the gospel, and see how it can bless their lives as well as those they share it with.  One of the ladies that the sisters had given the backpack to just a few days ago, has shared the gospel with 3 people already and is so excited.  It is awesome to hear!
These past two weeks have honestly been some of the hardest weeks so far in my mission, but I am so grateful for them.  It seems to me that whenever we increase in knowledge or understanding about something in the gospel and come closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ, there is always something that follows to test us and help us grow even more as a result.  I remember I was talking to Elder Sompi a little bit about how hard it is to seem to remember things, especially spiritual experiences.  I think a lot of times we ask the Lord for more and more experiences, but do not look back enough to remember the previous ones we have already had.  These experiences are so wonderful and profitable all the days of our lives if we but remember them and continue to strive to learn something from them.  Because for me, as I do look back and try to remember, I find that I learn something new just about every time and see something I did not see before.  So as we talked about this, my mind was drawn to the story of Alma the younger and his conversion.  I remember thinking, "if there is one person I really look up to and can relate really well with it would have to be him." Then I asked myself, "how did Alma the younger stay so dedicated and focused serving the Lord his whole life?" As I turned to Alma 36, where he is recounting his conversion to his son, I found the answer.  Right in the beginning he tells his son to do as he has done, and that is to remember the captivity of their fathers and how the Lord delivered them.  He then talks about his own captivity and how the Lord delivered him as well.  Oh how I wish we all would strive each and every day to take time to just remember!  Remember all that the Lord has done for us, and how he has always been there for us.  That perhaps we can continue to grow, learn and progress as our Heavenly Father wants us to.

I had a faith shaking experience the last couple weeks where if I did not strive to remember the experience I had, and rely on the Lord then I would not have been able to grow as much as a result. Remembering didn’t make everything a whole lot better, but, it did help me get through it and get though it much better than I could have on my own.  I am so grateful for this faith shaking experience. Because of it my faith in my Savior has increased, and my faith in general has been strengthened as a result.  We cannot expect to have a faith strengthening experience if we do not have experiences where we have to walk into the dark, thereby exercising our faith in Christ to guide us through who is the Light and life of the world.

To all those who are reading this, I urge and invite you to remember.  Remember the Lord and his goodness to you.  Remember that all of the things that we go through in this life are put in our paths to make us stronger as a result.  I know and testify to all of you that IF we but remembered, our lives would be filled with so much gratitude for all that the Lord has done for us, for we will truly see his hand in our lives and know in whom we can turn to for help.

I love my Savior and his goodness, mercy and love towards me.  I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World, and that He lives. I invite all of you reading this to remember what the Lord has done for you, and for members to seek and pray for opportunities to share the gospel.  That way you can come to feel the joy, peace and love that I feel as I share the gospel.

For those of you who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please read the Book of Mormon and ponder the words in it and ask God if it is right.  I promise that you will receive an answer to your question as countless others have and as a result will come to know your Savior so much more than you do now.  I leave these things with you and my love, in the Sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment