Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mon 7/14/2014 11:11 AM


Before I start about everything that has transpired this past week I wanted to express to all of you reading this that I am very grateful for your prayers and support on my behalf.  I have been feeling the added strength I have needed.  Thank you.

This past week we have had some very touching and special experiences where the Lord has put people in our path and has filled this week with many instances where people have given us service.  Experiences I am very thankful for.

After the 3rd of July celebration when we were on our way home we ran into this man named Cam.  He was batpized a few weeks ago in a huge church in Texas when he was visiting and it has been amazing to see the Light of Christ so brightly in his countenance. Well, we met with him on Tuesday with the English Elders and one of their members to pass him off.  It was a very powerful and wonderful visit where the Spirit was there so strongly.  We went over our purpose, an overview of the Restoration and gave him a Book of Mormon. It couldn't have gone better.  He was pumped, we were pumped and then the next day we got a text from him saying pretty much that he wanted to just stick with the Bible since he is new to religion and that he was going to start going to the church where these other guys we had met with right before us went.  We expressed love and wrote him back in text in which we asked him some questions and everything was by the Spirit.  The conclusion was the same.  Even though it didn't turn out the way we had hoped it was still a great experience.  We did ALL that we could and could not do any more.  The thing that I love from this whole experience was to see someone with the Light of Christ so strongly in his life and someone who had used the Atonement, tasted of the Love of the Savior and was a better person because of it.  It was amazing!
 
As I mentioned earlier, we have been the recipients of so many acts of service from people.  As we sat down on the curb for a few minutes to figure out what to share with someone we were meeting with later, this older lady walks out and brings us two ice cold waters.... It was amazing!  She said she saw us and thought we looked thirsty.  Funny thing is I have no idea how she saw us because the house she came out of had all the blinds closed.  It was such an uplifting experience and funny because she brought them out to us the day we were doing a mission wide fast, so we had to wait till that night to drink them (they tasted fantastic though).
 
Our friend Jack came by and brought us a ton of food as well which was a nice surprise and then members last night called us and had us come out front and gave us milk, rice, eggs and other things.  Their name is Ruiz and they are Peruvian and one of my favorite families here.
 
The highlight of this week I would have to say was contacting this 20 year old girl named Maria.  We were walking to Cam's house and saw her walking towards us,.  We said hi and kept walking since we were trying to get to Cam's on time.  After walking by we were thinking, wow, she was nice, we should have talked to her. later that night as we were walking to another appointment we ran into her again.  This time she was walking next to us.  We had a great 10 min talk with her about what we do and everything.  She was pumped and thought it was so awesome.  We got her number and set up a return appointment.  That night, SHE texted us saying how awesome what we do is, that she wants to come out with us and teach people and she starting talking about her beliefs and it was everything that we believe.  Long story short, we met with her the next day with Sister Wake and Romans and had a fantastic lesson with her on our purpose; get to know you; invited her to come find these things out for herself and gave her a Book of Mormon Lesson.  She is one of the MOST sincere people I have met on my mission who loves God and wants to serve him.  It was amazing!  At first, to be honest, we thought she was just interested because of Elder Cathcart and I, but after meeting with her with the Sisters and getting to know her more, she is pretty legit.  It is amazing to be able to find those people who the Lord has been preparing.  I am so excited to continue to meet with her and see her progress.
 
On Thursday for Weekly Planning with the Sisters I had the thought come to mind that we needed to include the Lord more in the planning sessions and have a return and report accountability with him in prayer for each individual.  So, after praying, talking and planning out what we were going to do, at the end we prayed, told the Lord everything we planned on doing and then asked him to confirm if the things were right and if there was anything else we needed to add to inspire us.  Well..... He sure did!  It was amazing to be on our knees united, receiving revelation for our investigators. Ideas just flooded us and as a result we had an even more inspired list of things to do for our people.  It sure felt good to do that again. I remember during that Weekly planning session having my heart expand and being filled with such gratitude that I felt inclined to go off, kneel and offer prayers of gratitude.  That was also when we had received what we needed to say to Cam and how to say it through text.  After this weekly planning session I was brought to a remembrance that this isn't our work and that it is the Lords.  I think sometimes as missionaries it is so easy to pray for the Spirit to guide us and help us know what to say, then to plan for individuals and come up with good things to do, but until we truly remember that we are doing the Lord's work, I feel that our efforts will only be in the good or better category and not the best.  I had lost track of that for a little bit, but I am grateful for this experience to help me remember that.  If only we all will remembered that and applied that to every aspect of our lives.
 
I am grateful for learning the difference between praying and TRULY praying.  I think some times we treat prayer as a one way conversation where we say all that is on our mind with how we feel, what we want and need and then jump up and get on with things not giving it a second thought or even letting the Lord get a word in.  I think we would do well to remember at times that prayer is communication with the most powerful, perfect, supreme being who only wants the best for us.  I am still learning and trying to remember this concept when I pray.  I am not there yet, but I hope one day I can be humble enough and WISE enough to heed the counsel the Lord gives me in those prayers with all my heart, might, mind and strength.  I have felt the energizing, soothing, uplifting, and inspiring love and guidance of our Loving Heavenly Father.  I know that "prayer is where our agency meets God's power"-Mitch Welton and that when we truly pray, seeking the loving guidance of a perfect being we can then start to become more effective tools in his hands.  It isn't until after we allow him to guide us with his perfect hands that we will see He has had the plans already prepared and is using us to create that wonderful masterpiece he intends to create.
 
It is my prayer that we seek to learn the language of prayer, to seek His guidance and then humble ourselves and do those things He reveals to us.  I leave these things with you all in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment